Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Carbon Footprint? CO2 Emissions? Fuel Economy?

I am old enough to remember viewing a film during science class in eighth grade that documented a project performed by Stanford University students. It was the Seventies, and we were concerned about "pollution", mpg, and "alternative energies". The students converted an American Motors Gremlin to burn hydrogen. We watched as one student drank the water he collected from the car's tail pipe. I would have bet you that day that at age 45 I would be driving such a car and our petrol obsessions would be in the past.

Unfortunately, we in the U.S. only respond to problems we see as immediate, and until our environment and our resources are again in "crisis", it is somehow acceptable to drive a vehicle that gets 9 miles per gallon.

Join the Revolution. Promote ideas that move us forward by leaving minimal footprints. The crisis has not been resolved--don't succumb to the common amnesia that forgets that conspicuous consumption is unacceptable.

Ride your bike, take the train, car pool.

1 comment:

ycycle said...

About to get on my bike right now and ride to work. I dream of the day when a driver rolls down the window to thank me for not driving instead of yelling at me to get off the road. I'm taking your post to mean just that. Thank you.