Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Big Down Sizing


OK, so now the day I've prayed for is here. Gas prices are above four dollars a gallon. My joy in this is not some capitalistic rubbing together of my hands in glee as I twirl my moustache in a sardonic fashion and wait for folks to buckle down and buy bikes to save gas and money. Although, yes, the gas price increases have brought increased movement of bikes at Kiddles. The joy here is that life styles are changing. Racks, baskets, and bags for carrying stuff to work and for hauling groceries have been all the rage.




On the home front, we down-sized our gas-consuming vehicles at our house last month. My car is now capable of 40mpg--still not as economical as my bike used in combination with Metra, but I feel better about driving on the days I must.




On Sunday, I drove to Milwaulkee to participate in a charity ride. I hate driving somewhere to ride my bike, but I used the occasion to see how much mpg I could milk from my new car (this is possibly an illness that consumes middle aged men. . .). Sunday was chilly and at one of the rest stops on the bike ride, the guy that was volunteering to run the stop was sitting with his family in his truck while the engine ran the whole time we were there. Of course, I said something to him. . . twice. Self-righteous? Maybe, but every one of our collective mpg was drifting away in the cloud of his truck's exhaust.




Gas prices are not high enough yet for some of us.

No comments: